The Upper Valley Haven
• welcomes all who enter its doors as equals, respecting their dignity and accepting them without judgment;
• encourages those it serves to develop their capacity for independence and self-sufficiency;
• seeks the support and participation of the community;
• is thrifty with its resources, generous in its hospitality and accountable to the individuals and organizations that support it.
Our vision is to create a community where people find hope and discover possibility.
Our mission: The Upper Valley Haven is a non-profit, private organization that serves people struggling with poverty by providing food, shelter, education, service coordination, and other support.
Since 1980 the Upper Valley Haven has provided temporary shelter and educational programming for homeless families and adults as well as food to anyone in need.
The Haven offers support and fosters independence through four domains of service: Food, Shelter, Education and Problem Solving. The Haven is open 365 days per year and never charges for any of its services. We serve over 14,500 people per year.
It is difficult to adequately describe the stress and range of emotions surrounding homelessness and poverty. The same is true of the rewards our donors, staff, and volunteers experience from helping those in need.
In fiscal year 2018 (April 1, 2017- March 31, 2018) the Haven provided:
- Shelter for 36 families (65 children), and for 128 adults (including nine veterans)
- Seasonal Shelter for 116 adults, (including 12 veterans), 86 men, 29 women and one transgender
- Food for 3,885 households with 12,040 members (3,591 of whom were children). There has been food supplied for one household for one week on 14,752 occasions.
- Community Service Coordination support for 31,353 households (for community members, not including shelter guests)
We invite you to explore this website to learn more about who we are and what we do. If you are interested in our work, call or visit to learn more about how you, too, can help to make a difference in our Upper Valley community. We love to give tours and encourage everyone to come see our campus and our work.